Working enthusiastically with your team you will help maintain a happy, efficient working environment whilst providing outstanding patient and client care.
Lead Nurse - Patient journey
Clinical Nursing Manager
Linnaeus is a vibrant community of veterinary practices across the UK. We work across a range of areas within veterinary medicine from small animal to farm and equine.
We are all individual but two important things bring us together; a commitment to excellence in everything we do and our passion to make A Better World for Pets.
Linnaeus invest in quality practices who put patient care at the heart of everything they do. We are incredibly proud of each and every member of our diverse portfolio, from the UK’s most respected small animal Referral Practices to our selection of high-quality Primary Care practices.
Our Values are: Leadership with Integrity | Learning & Innovation | Lifetime Commitment to Quality Care
The Lead Nurse role is key to the business ability to provide a high level of clinical standards..
The Team Lead will ensure that patients are managed as effectively as possible from a nursing perspective to support the profitability and further growth of the practice. Working enthusiastically with your team you will help maintain a happy, efficient working environment whilst providing outstanding patient and client care.
Main purpose & goals
- Maintain an overview of the nursing team and provision of animal care across the team that you lead.
- Managing your area of responsibility by working with other lead nurses and the Clinical Nursing Manager in order to achieve this
- Demonstrating an excellent work protocol in all nursing duties including high level of hygiene and the ability to recognise and undertake relevant actions with regards to infection control.
- Approximately 95% of the role will be clinical duties, to allow 5% for admin that may come with that role including a full share of the on-call rota.
- Ensure that you and those working in your area of responsibility provide a high and sustainable quality of nursing care.
- Provide leadership to those working in your area of responsibility and others across the business
- Ensure effective communication within your area of responsibility, other team leads and the Clinical Nursing Manager.
- Ensure that all cases in your team area are dealt with in a timely manner, and that unnecessary delays are prevented at all times.
- Ensure that in your area of responsibility the team are implementing accurate patient record keeping and that all patient care instructions are followed by the nursing team.
- Ensure all members in your area of responsibility team are aware of their roles and are clear on the objectives they are working towards.
- Work with the Clinical Nursing Manager where required to help develop a skills matrix for nursing requirement within your area of responsibility your area of responsibility
- Work with the Clinical Nursing Manager to help support the identification, prioritisation and implementation of learning, development and CPD for nurses in your team where required.
- Work with the Clinical Nursing Manager to ensure all new nurses entering the business are supported to complete their induction
- Provide effective line management of those in your team including regular feedback to the Clinical Nursing Manager who can ensure mentoring, coaching and development discussions where needed .
- Carry Nurse appraisals if and when required by the Clinical Nursing Manager for those who work as part of your team.
- Participate in external CPD appropriate to your role plus any training in-house, ensuring post-training feedback forms are completed/cascade of relevant information to appropriate team members.
- Implement the Practice Standards Scheme across the practice.
- Implement the ISFM standards across the practice.
- Use Vetsafe reporting to target training where nursing care can be improved
- Ensuring all equipment across the practice is appropriately maintained and serviced.
- Liaise with Linnaeus central office as necessary, attend Linnaeus nurse meetings and devolve any developments to the nursing team and SLT.
- Report and summarise critical incidents as part of Practice Clinical Governance Policy.
Ensure all members within your area of the nursing team are aware of their roles and job descriptions and are clear on the objectives they are working towards.
Demonstrate an understanding of staff motivation, team working, different learning styles and different methods of assessing an employee's performance.
Carry out regular performance reviews and update training documents or competency checklists as appropriate to ensure all of the nursing team within your area are competent in the performance of their duties
Promote the practice and group policies and guidelines that apply to all employees and effectively manage any performance issues
Manage the daily planners to ensure optimum use of employees during both busy and quiet periods, including ad hoc training.
Assist in monitoring overtime to minimise unnecessary expenditure for the business and excessive hours for any given individual.
Assist with practice marketing initiatives e.g. Community events, Open Days etc.
Participate in external CPD appropriate to your role plus any training in-house, ensuring post-training feedback forms are completed/cascade of relevant information to appropriate team members.
Provide the support and training necessary to achieve the standards required of them at all times. Either personally by mentoring/discussions/provision of CPD and observing processes or by organising external CPD as appropriate.
Report and summarise critical incidents as part of Practice Clinical Governance Policy
Demonstrating an excellent work protocol in all nursing duties including theatre practice, lab techniques, assisting veterinary surgeons with anaesthesia, with a high level of hygiene and the ability to recognise and undertake relevant actions with regards to infection control.
Dispensing drugs safely and managing pharmaceuticals with accordance to legislation, able to calculate drug doses and dispense and prepare drugs as prescribed by the veterinary surgeon whilst maintaining appropriate drug records.
Ensure effective stock rotation/replenishment where applicable.
Assisting in the management of the nursing team and supporting when necessary with general nursing duties, ensuring efficient running of all clinical areas at all times
Ensure that all surgical cases are dealt with in a timely manner, and that unnecessary delays are prevented at all times
Work closely with the vets and non-surgical team including attending regular meetings to ensure all areas are working together effectively and efficiently.
Ensure that patient records are being completed accurately and that all patient care instructions are followed by the nursing team
Ensure schedule 3 assessments are completed each year for nurses within your area
Responsible for maintaining and developing standards of patient journey alongside CD’s, GNM, CNM, Lead Vets.
|Experience||4 years in practice, with a minimum of 2 years post RVN registration||
Experience of leading a team.
|Knowledge||RCVS code of conduct Confident in the use of IT packages, email and online internet browsers.|
|Skills & abilities||Excellent listening and communication skills. Team player. Highly organised with the ability to multitask, plan and prioritise effectively in accordance with business needs. Proactive and well organised with an eye for detail. Ability to manage projects through to completion, meeting deadlines and targets. Remains calm under pressure. Problem solving.||Innovative and forward thinking Mentoring qualification|
|Other qualities||Ability to make decisions that benefit the whole team not individuals.||Knowledge of organisational restrictions.|
Health & safety
- Be fully aware of all Health & Safety issues and read all information supplied